Thursday, December 2, 2010

Blog 8

Senior Year Volleyball
At the high school that I attend, North Branch High School that is, I have been a volleyball player since the 6th grade. Most high school sport seasons generally last about two to three months, not volleyball. From the beginning of June to the end of November I am constantly at practice, games, tournaments, and conditioning. Though it takes up a rather large portion of my summer, and every free Saturday I had as a senior, there is no other thing I would spend my time doing. From the moment I pull up my knee pads until the moment I unlace my shoes, all I want to do is play.
Playing literally nonstop for the last six years with the same group of girls, we have truly become a family, and they are my best friends. Seeing each other almost every given day it would be impossible to not become so close that I call most of them my sisters. Even after the season is over I’m still with most of them during all of my free time. So, being a senior, and watching this sport that I’ve put countless hours of blood sweat and tears into (literally!) come to an end, I can’t help but wonder: How am I going to survive?
On November 20th, 2010 that question finally became a reality. Losing to the Fruitport High School Varsity Volleyball team in the class B state finals in five games, by two points, all of us seven seniors now face the above question on a daily basis. It’s safe to say that we all feel almost a little home sick for the gym! I am more than positive that I am not the only one who feels a little lost with all my free time, and I’m definitely not the only one who is dreading the fact that when June rolls around, I won’t be spending my every waking moment in my second home. I am ecstatic to be graduating high school; however, graduating from North Branch volleyball, for lack of a better phrase, sucks!
While introducing myself in sociology class, we were required to give a few facts about ourselves. I started out with the basics: my name, my age, and my grade. I then proceeded to say “and I am, or rather I guess, I was a varsity volleyball player.” That sentence alone felt like a knife to the heart. Hopefully, though I’ve been told by numerous alumni that it’s “just not the same,” I’ll be playing college volleyball next August. The friends I have made and all the great experiences I have had for the last six years will truly be thing I will NEVER forget.







http://www.mhsaa.com/

8 comments:

  1. volleyball is a good sport, it works out your whole body. Great to hear you have layed since sixth grade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good post Im sure you will fit right in on your new team at college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new opportunity to play college volley ball.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to play volleyball in my younger years, but not I really enjoy watching. My niece plays on a tournament league, and I enjoy watching from the moment she puts on her knee pad to unlacing her shoes. I, too, understand the thrill and enjoyment, even if I am sitting in the stand, I still get that rush. Good luck to you and your team. I would say break a leg, but I said that back in the day to a friends daughter just before a game, and she did. So I don't say that anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is really great that you created such a good bond with your team. They do become your sisters with all the time you spend with them. I remember this from when I was in high school with my cross country team. Good luck with your college op.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to be relatively good at volleyball in gym class, but I don't think I could ever be as good as you guys were! Because you guys were so close, it was like you guys were all synchronized. I only went to one game, but you all almost knew exactly what the other player was going to do. I have heard some people also mention that it is very weird to not be playing anymore, and that they will miss it. I hope it will be just as fun for you in college!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, the passing of time can hurt quite a bit like the "knife" you mentioned. Luckily, you still have some good days of college volleyball coming up, which I suppose is a plus for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love volleyball and I love watching a good game of it as well. In fact, one of my biggest regrets is not playing in high school. Good luck on your future years of playing in college, I'm sure you'll do just as great and become part of a new "family".

    ReplyDelete