Thursday, December 2, 2010

Blog 7

Research Findings
Through my research on the topic of psychodynamic psychotherapy, I have learned a lot about my future career. I had a general sense of what psychodynamic did and what it was,  but I was able to gain a lot more detail on it as a whole. I learned mainly that psychodynamic psychotherapy focuses on the unconscious processes of the mind. In the most simple terms, it is a tool that psychologists use so that patients can sort of self heal. They do a lot of therapy one on one with a therapist and also in groups that allows them to talk out their issues and have others who can more fully understand what that person is dealing with because of similar disorders.
Disorders such as anxiety, anorexia, and bulimia can be so severe that a patient’s life can become consumed by it in a range of different ways. Their physical and mental health is in danger when one of these disorders is present and this type of therapy allows a lot or possibly even all of their disorder to subside. The self healing process takes most patients about two years to reach their full potential of recovery, but most patients seemed to agree that the time was well spent and were happy with the results.
Year after year psychodynamic psychotherapy is gaining popularity. Psychologists from around the country are finding that it is an extremely useful and effective therapy. More research and surveys are being conducted to see the pro and cons of this therapy and by the amount of use it is getting, I would say that I found psychodynamic psychotherapy has far more pros than it does cons. Sure, there are religious debates on this topic as there are on any other, but it doesn’t seem to be slowing the use of this tactic. With the results and popularity boost, my guess is that psychodynamic psychotherapy will be around, helping many patients for a great deal of time.

1 comment:

  1. Psychodynamic psychotherapy seems very interesting. I think that I may even look up the technique of this method if I don't forget. I also think that it's awesome that you want to use an unconventional form of psychological therapy in your work rather than the same, arguably out-of-date techniques that some psychologists today use.

    ReplyDelete