Marley & Me
David Frankel’s 2008 production, Marley & Me, follows the tale of a dog. With a seemingly simple plot, this family comedy movie captures more than just your everyday dog. With appropriate jokes for all ages and romantic scenes that only make one smile this movie is one for the entire family. Based on a true story, Marley & Me is a tale of man and his best friend as they journey through live entailing many bumps and bruises.
Owen Wilson plays main character, John Grogan. John decided to get his newlywed wife a puppy in hopes that it will prolong plans of having children. However, little did John know he was about to enter into more responsibility than a child. Marley destroys everything from chewing, to eating necklaces, to peeing. The mischievous pup keeps the audience laughing and on their toes with what he’ll do next.
As life continues John and his wife Jen (Jenifer Aniston) continue with their list of “to do’s” including buying a new house having three kids, and John becoming a reporter. Yet, despite the demanding needs of the three young children and demands of the workforce, Marley is still causing the most trouble knocking the kids off their feet and waking them up from naps barking at the delivery man. All the aftermath Marley creates causes Jen to send him away for a few days in hope that he will never return. However, after only a matter of a couple days, the audience sees just how important Marley is to the family.
The family moves to North from their Florida vacation home to Pennsylvania . There Marley becomes an old dog, hardly walking up stairs and leaving on long walks not to return until late the following night. From happy and glorious, the film quickly descends to a dark saddening mood. The kids of the family feel as though they are losing a sibling, and John and Jen as if they are losing a child. When it is finally Marley’s time to pass on I find myself crying as though I too have just lost my best friend.
Family comedies typically encase good, clean language, jokes, and romance. Marley & Me has all of these elements allowing it to top the list of other movies of its genre. I could watch this movie with anyone from my mom to my second grade cousin. It's humor is understandable to all ages-- for the adults the "inside jokes" about marriage and for the children just the "silly" things Marley does creates a room full of laughter. Other movies in this genre could include Finding Nemo and The Incredibles. Due to the fact the Frankel’s film is not cartoon based makes it even more applicable to real life making this movie, in my opinion, even better than the other two films mentioned above. Furthermore, I feel that this movie exceeds my expectations for this movie genre. Like any other family film, it does feature the typical happy ending. But, even though Marley & Me ends happily it still causes viewers to experience sadness as well (when Marley meets the end of his road). The film is still able to leave those watching with positive thoughts by overlooking all the good that Marley had created for his family acting as a major positive for the film. Also, an added bonus of the film is that it could be used as a teaching tool for ages alike. The movie shows a life lesson as most family films do of loving one and other through the good times and the bad. Marley & Me is by far one of the best family comedies I have watched.
Marley & Me demonstrates all the feelings of a man and his best friend. It shows the real emotional relationship of a dog and its owner. Not everyone enjoys predictable movies, but I sure did. I feel even though this film may have been easy to predict and was rather typical, I enjoyed it from beginning to end however, it may not be everyone’s cup of tea. If you’re interested in a feel good film that leaves you grinning Marley & Me is for you! The emotions being acted on screen are easily transferred to all audiences. For all ages, this film causes them to laugh, cry, and experience a range of feelings. Without a doubt this film deserves five stars

The movie sounds pretty good, Hailey. However, I don’t think I could make it through the movie knowing Marley dies. It actually sounds like the life of my dog that we had to put down recently. Ah, memories. I also loved the usage of the word “peeing” in there, too.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this movie when it came out. You described it very well, and kept in a lot of deatil from the movie. Jennifer Aniston is my favorite actress and I thought she did a really good job in the movie. I liked how you made this into a review and a recomendation at the end. It was a good idea to put in a target age for the movie as well.
ReplyDeleteThis was defintily an excellant movie. My favorite part is when they took marley to the dog trainer. This movie is very comical. But very sad at the end. It brought some tears to my eyes.
ReplyDeleteThat movie was amazing. I loved it so much. Although, when I saw it in the theaters I cried, and every time I watch it still I can't help but tear up. It really shows the bond bewteen a man and his dog very well, and the acting was outstanding. Owen Wilson and Jenifer Aniston work very well together and the chemistry they showed made the movie very realistic and heartfelt.
ReplyDeleteI want to see this movie. You have written a compelling overview. I love dogs and know just how mischievous they can be. Once two of our dogs knocked a bake pan full of lasagna over on the floor and pushed it all around the house. Anyway, I'm sure my wife and I will enjoy watching this one!
ReplyDeleteI have to say I have never seen this movie. I have heard of it though. Everyone says it is a bad movie because of the ending. Part of me wants to see it, but then there is another half of me that is telling myself not to, because I probably cry. Maybe one day I will grow the courage to watch it. Thnanks to you, and this well-written blog, you might have just pushed me to watch this movie even though the ending of it is not the happiest. Thank You!
ReplyDeleteI remember watching the movie and wondering if my kids should watch it. We don't have any pets but I still teared up at the end. It is very odd for me to feel and see the relationship a man and dog can have. I enjoyed your description of the movie and if you can laugh and cry at a movie it must be good!
ReplyDeleteI loved Marley&Me. you picked a great movie!
ReplyDeletei haven't seen this movie yet. Alot of people said it was really good. Pets are mans best friend. Sometimes i swear i like dogs more then people, i don't know why. Good blog though.
ReplyDeleteI was just going to watch this movie over the weekend but didn't have the chance. You really make this movie worth watching, so I am going to make a point of it this week. Thanks for the great review.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great movie for anyone who has a pet or has grown up with a pet. It's hard to believe how attached you can get to a pet.
ReplyDeleteI think you did a good job recounting key elements from the story. Your review will make those who haven't seen this movie curious to rent it.
This movie seems like it respresents the typical American family and the pets that live within those homes. The film documents the life of the dog from a little puppy to his passing. I have never seen this movie, but you did a very good job of summarizing and explaining the plot. I've been meaning to watch this movie, and you reminded me why I should rent it.
ReplyDeleteThis is one of my favorite movies! I have a dog that I named Marley before seeing this movie and she took to the name quite well! This is such a tear-jerker for me because I have three labs; two yellow and one chocolate, so it really hits home with me.
ReplyDeleteHow sad! I couldn't watch that movie, and I'm glad I didn't rent the movie my 9yr old would have been devastated!
ReplyDelete